By Monica Ngage
With the COVID-19 causing a sudden change of events, there is much adjustments that is needed. Trying to cope with and manage these changes often come with stress. We have seen people losing their jobs, others dealing with pay cuts and the few lucky ones working from homes. These changes were unforeseen and have brought along much stress to the employees as they try to cope and readjust.
So, how do you know you are stressed and need help of a counselor?
Stressed employees will exhibit below symptoms:
- Inability to concentrate
- Inability to cope with day today work pressure
- Increased mood swings e.g you become irritated all the time for no apparent reason
- Lost motivation on the things you love doing
- Feeling sick and are unable to explain source of it
- Inability to relate with others and with yourself.
What can employees do to cope & manage the stress?
- Create a designated working space in your home (for those working from home)
- Take work breaks
- Eat a healthy diet
- Connect with others, talk to people close to you via calls, social media.
- Sleep well
- Letting go things that are beyond your control
- Speaking about your experience
- Do projects such as online short courses
How can organisations help to keep their staff motivated during this COVID-19 period?
- Phone calls-make calls to the staff to just check on how they are doing
- During meetings-Before commencing any meeting you need to check on people and how they are doing
- Listen to your people-stressed people often need a person they can pour out their heart to and thus offering a listening ear will greatly help.
Source-icx webinar held on 21st Aug, 2020