Training & Professional development
By Paul Muhia Data & Energy driven Analyst.
We live in a fast-paced world and the race towards self-actualization is unending. Professionals from all walks of life are in constant search for new information in order to catch up with the trends in their respective fields. Survival for the fittest as many call it, implies that; only the strong can survive any changes that might occur in their immediate environment. Thus for professionals to ensure their survival they need to keep training in their respective fields.
Training is vital to any organization irrespective of the nature of the business. It ensures that the company is aware of all the trends in the industry and cannot be left behind. The return on investment from training as an individual or organization is quite satisfying despite the perceived lost workdays during training sessions.
Importance of training & development
- Increased job satisfaction and morale among employees: Training that involves taking a group of your employees say to a seminar creates a bond among them as they get the chance to interact together.
- Employee motivation: If an employee sees that they are growing professionally through training they get motivated to even perform more as they become more confident about their capabilities.
- Increased efficiencies in processes, resulting in financial gain: Focused in-house training addresses key issues facing your organization. Trained personnel become better equipped to operate machines more efficiently.
- Increased capacity to adopt new technologies and methods: Consistent training ensures that one is conversant with ongoing technological trends and they are ready to adopt them.
- Increased innovation in strategies and products: Training stretches the minds of the staff especially when different departments are combined. They can collaborate together and come up with innovative products for the organization.
- Reduced employee turnover: investing in your employees gives them a sense of belonging and they feel they are valued members of the company.
- Enhanced company image, e.g. conducting ethics training (not a good reason for ethics training!): It is no brainer to see clients in favor of an organization that constantly trains its staff. Customers associate this with complete know-how of your products. Your employees also tend to be more professional when handling customers.
- Risk management, e.g., training about sexual harassment, diversity training
How prepared are you as a professional in your field with the emergence of new methods & technologies?
New technologies and solutions are emerging to address today’s challenges. As a professional, it gives you an edge to constantly keep yourself updated with these trends.
The energy professional Training Survey 2019 Report (http://energyzedworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Training-Survey-2019.pdf) shows a growing demand for training from energy professionals. This can be attributed to the fact that energy space is a disruptive field with constant changes now and then. Intensive research is being undertaken for example in the battery storage to ensure that homes can still use solar power at night. Solar PV technologies between the last 5-10 years have really changed with increased efficiency. Without the knowledge of these changes a solar PV technician might find themselves recommending an old technology yet, there are more efficient and possibly cheaper alternatives in the market.
What are some of the training needs in your organization?